7 facts about the ‘Sexiest Man Alive’
Channing Tatum, who played a stripper in this past summer’s hit film “Magic Mike” and who also used to be an exotic dancer in real life, has been named the “Sexiest Man Alive” for 2012 by People magazine.
The 32-year-old actor follows in the footsteps of the likes of Bradley Cooper, last year’s honoree, Ryan Reynolds, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt and Mel Gibson, who was the “first to be given the title by the outlet in 1984.
And here are 7 more facts about Channing Tatum:
1. He was a jock in high school, and has his mom to thank for graduating. He used to play football when he was a high school student and was voted “most athletic.” He also says that his mother helped him pass his classes. “If it wasn’t for her literally doing my homework for me, I would not have even graduated high school.”
2. He dropped out of college. Tatum had received a partial football scholarship from Wake Forest University but was denied acceptance because of his bad grades. Then he received a football scholarship at Glenville State College in West Virginia and dropped out after a year.
3. He held some pretty terrible jobs before he became famous. Many involved pestering people… One involved puppies! After he left college, he moved to Tampa and working in construction, framing houses, and then got a job at Dillards, a department store chain.
He also worked as a mortgage broker for about three months. He says that was one of his worst jobs – that and being a club promoter. He also worked as a telemarketer at a credit card company, which also involved him having to cold-call people, and at a “puppy kitty nursery.”
4. He began working as a stripper when he was 19, and used a stage name. Tatum began working as a stripper in 1999. At the time, he was living in a government housing unit in Tampa, Florida,. Tatum used the stage name ‘Chan Crawford’ when he worked as an exotic dance.
5. He was a model before he was an actor. Tatum was discovered on the streets of Miami by a director and then he was taken all around the world.
6. He likes to shoot guns. When he was a kid, he lived on the bayou in Mississippi. His dad would throw a beer can into the water and have him shoot at it. Once, when he was really little, they had this huge double-barrel shotgun, and when he tried it, it blew him off the dock.
7. He’s a hopeless romantic. Tatum is so romantic that he even writes his wife love notes. He Also likes drawing little faces and writing little stories and hiding them in places. He’s a practical joker, and his favorite one is putting one under the toilet seat.